8/27/18

Poetry | Chanchal Kumar

B.M. Barbeito

For Shirin


I try to interpret the messages from when we first met
To predict where it is that we will find ourselves at the beginning of dawn
I don't discover many conceits except that maybe
you are the clay bird-bath my old landlord once
Placed at the corner of the terrace wall & forgot all about it 
(For pigeons to cool themselves and drink from) 
I guess someone created you to watch over dilapidated medieval architecture- 
The queerest patron saint of k-pop and chai-points in the nooks of vijaynagar

Sometimes we walk till we reach the edge of our worlds
And there's nowhere left to go
Each person must either be a prison or an island
Always there exists a casus belli
The slightest hint of a century-old rain.
Blue flowers have sprouted quietly from the spots where our bodies have accidentally touched
You can't talk about poverty/poetry, you can only live it

I draw concentric circles to mark my possessions
You never admit to being in places other than your home.







An Autobiography


Mail trains have followed me to this place
Where I live as a paying guest,
Although I do not hand over currency notes
The first of every month.
I pay in a slow erosion of whatever is left
Of my faith. I have dug too much sand
Looking for seashells and tiny pearls:
I bring back home whatever I find.
Friends whom I do not understand
Keep visiting me, gesticulating and cheering
I sometimes wish they left soon
My relationships are painted
with the same hazy stripes, but
It doesn't fade even after a thousand washes
My love is the heat from brick-kilns
It creates only when it glows blue
People have made me wary of grand ideas,
all-enclosing ideologies. I do not use them,
I do not trust them.
I am writing my autobiography
With a shrunken vocabulary :
The words that recur are
caste, caste, caste.



About Lynching


Since I've just seen twenty-three years of life
I'd like to ask those who are older about facts regarding a certain important issue
I'd like to know when they were the same age as I am now,
Did they too witness a lull enveloping the streets
Just before another lynching was orchestrated?
Bruegel The Elder did paint a man drowning with others watching,
going leisurely around with their work,
Not paying heed. 

Is it the same when a chosen person is killed by an angry mob?
Raja Ravi Varma never used saffron colors to depict a Hindu god
baying for the blood of the innocent.
Surely, he was unlucky he never got the inspiration to depict the act on canvas?
I wish someone had written, just for reference-
"About lynching, they were never wrong, the Old Masters..."


No comments:

Post a Comment