3/19/22

New | Poetry | Poems of Lust | Pratibha Nandkumar


 



POEMS OF LUST

Poems have no sex organs   -   Hoshang Merchant

 

-1- 

Hoshang Merchant said

Poems have no sex organs

And then went on to declare he is spiritual.

It was just yesterday that I was reading

Akkamahadevi describe her entire body a yoni

and her soul just a fortress stiff.

The Shakinis of the after-world

torment you before crossing over,

the dues must be paid in full.

When Isis the great bird, was in a dilemma

whether to make love or eat

the great manliness of the dead Osiris,

lust won, finally and Horus was born. 

My dear Hoshang, poems are the sex organs.

 

-2-

Kama cannot be burnt

nor can he be curtailed,

shot down or buried.

I have no use of Hoshang,

he is taken by the boys with broad backs,

big feet and hands.

He has secret writings but an open closet.

Curious though I am about how

he interprets the cry of the mockingbird.

I loved a man frail as a sparrow

who caressed me with his beak.

He once revealed he was once

a Walnut tree who became a chair.

I sat on him and wrote exquisite poems of lust.

 

 -3-

That woman at the café kept talking about my big bindi

Its colour, size, powder, and the scent

Ah yes, the scent she could smell it, she said

I was surprised that she could get the

fragrance of the raw turmeric pounded

with lime to get this exact red.

When I said my man loves it

she was disappointed and sighed.

I said I am straight, sorry there is no spark.

 

-4-

The night I was petrified to write the word lust

Dorothy Porter held my hand and showed how

Nefertity rode her, growling like the desert.

She didn’t mind using sticky words, she said and

she also cast a spell on me. I was zapped.

That night, when I wrote about my longing

they said, it was my best poem on social justice

about backward and forward and oppressed and suppressed.

When I tried to explain they said

it would be an altogether different matter

if it was a gay poem addressed to someone called Vivan.

I curse you, Hoshang Merchant.

  

 -5 -

He cried in desperation

“Oh woman, throw me less fire!”

I laughed and said it has already been said.

He asked who? I fell silent, busy.

Mentioning Baudelaire would have caused

irreparable damages at that specific moment.

I am Le Vampire. Feed my lust

before the Bhakts decide to ban it.

They have mastered the art of cooking without fire.

 

-6-

The eternal question

Do I ask for it?

The moral brigade would crush me

with their arrows.

Yes, they even can come into my bedroom

and demand to cover me with thick chaddar,

something like Chughthai’s elephant.

I make futile attempts to quote Kalidas and Valmiki.

Even recite couplets on the fierce goddess

who stands on Shiva stamping his erect manliness.

Gods too must marry to do it

unless a Shiva lusts for a Vishnu turned Mohini,

for the welfare of the humankind.  

Hoshang will love this story.

 

I do not. I despise the argument and

I am still stuck at that word. 


*artwork via Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment