3/19/22

New | Essay | What I Am Reading | Robert Wood

 


What I am Reading

 

I am reading and re-reading all the time. From the news of the trade journal, Books and Publishing, when I first wake up and look at my phone to when I go to sleep holding the latest issue of Mekong Review. I also read a lot of new work by new writers across poetry, essay and prose, all in the process of editing Portside Review. But when I think about what I am reading, I think about the books that will always have a place on my shelf. I read them in my memory and my present, and, of course, my future, all three moments in time woven around these written words.

 

*

 

There was a time when I used to read a lot of Western philosophy, especially Georg Hegel’s Lectures on the Philosophy of History, Max Weber’s Essays in Sociology, and Ludwig Wittgenstein’s Philosophical Investigations but also his Remarks on Colour. I gave that up after I left Melbourne six years ago and simply wanted to make my life simpler - going to the beach, playing tennis, drinking beers. That did not mean I stopped reading.

 

I turned then to the East, reading about where I was living in Kerala, with stops along the way in the Tao Te Ching in the John Minford translation (and the Ursula K Le Guin and many more) and Lal Ded from Ranjit Hoskote and Tamil Sangam Poetry from ML Thangappa. I gave that up too, when the sun came out and I had work to do and I moved on, when travel was easier than sitting still.

 

After Kerala, we went to New York, and I read in one sitting Emily Wilson’s Odyssey, which was a scholarly and popular phenomenon when judged by commentary and sales. A true corrective to the belief that poetry does not matter or have a wide audience. I had, of course, been grounded in the classics before this, with the first book I ever owned being Bulfinch’s Mythology, awarded upon my graduation from primary school, and a study of the Greeks at college in Philadelphia many years later, which I am, of course, never not reading.

 

*    

 

With all this travel, I read often in translation, often from the Spanish or from Indian languages, be they novels or political theorists, occasionally a poet or two. There was a time when I was versed enough to read in German and Spanish because of my doctoral qualifying exams, and I have made my way through language classes in Mandarin, Japanese, French, Ngarluma and Noongar. But, I am terrible with languages, a true master of none, a horse that is led to water and cannot drink, and I am okay with that. English provides enough reading material even as we filter it through an imperfect lens.

 

But, I often read the translations of my own work, going backwards and forwards between English and other languages, especially from India, including my ancestral tongue of Malayalam. Sometimes, the script is different, but what we talk about when we talk about translation is how context is built from a word to a line to a phrase to a paragraph to a page, from a seed to a forest, simply from ink on a page. Reading always means reading the country into which a forest can grow.

 

*

 

I have been back home for four years now, and reading what I read matters to how I read it as well, reading means reading on Bibbulmun Country. I have less time on my hands than I used to and that means I have become more selective, have to carve time from granite for books, and to watch seeds grow in ashes alone. When I can, I have been reading Martin Luther King’s last interviews and his Letter from Birmingham Jail, taking my time to savour what needs to be done in the length, height, breadth of life, as one cares for oneself, for others, for nature. I have been reading Saul Alinsky’s Rules for Radicals, renewing my acquaintance once again with a practical handbook for organising, which I have not done since my days in aged care with a trade union. And then, there is Che Guevara’s Guerrilla Warfare, which I read for tactics in non-violence, more love and stay than hit and run, but thinking instead what a small band of pacifists can do when war is marching on all around. It seems more pressing now than ever before.

 

*

 

After I wake up and read the trade journals, I find myself scrolling through The Guardian and The Conversation. I don’t really read them, but skim, peruse, pass over, only enough to keep me abreast of the outline of world events, the headlines if you will. And everywhere, it seems violence is there, from deaths in custody to border skirmishes to all out wars and invasion. I do what I can in response to this, which is simply to write letters and read the ones I get in return, from bureaucrats and diplomats and politicians, from the people who have a different kind of power to us writers and poets and editors. And, all I do is ask them for peace in our time, peace in all time, in the hope that they know how to read it right when the time comes to make a choice that matters to us all.

 

*

 

Robert Wood is the Creative Director of the Centre for Stories and the past Chair of PEN Perth. He has been a Sydney Review of Books Emerging Critic and an Endeavour Fellow at Columbia University. The author of five books, Robert is interested in dreams, enlightenment, nature, suburbs and philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment