4/28/19

New | Poetry | Channdika Thayver



I Sleep in a Box

I sleep in a box.
It is made of pine
Because Neem trees
And Kadambas
Do not grow here.
My arms crossed,
I relish the peace of this
Snug,
Dark space.
Even so,
I can feel the heat
Of their disdain
As they hoist this box
Onto their shoulders,
These white, beige and brown men.
I hear the hate
In the spit
That captains their words.
One loathes me
For being a Distraction,
Another is disgusted
That I am Brown.
The third detests me
For having an opinion
And the fourth scorns me
For not wanting him at all.
Their tongues grow
Twisted
As they spew their revulsion
For me,
Knotting themselves into
One
Another
Until finally,
They trip over themselves,
Throwing this box
That they were
Never.
Asked.
To carry.
In the first place.
I fall out
Landing
On my elbows.
I bleed.
The dirt smells like Life.
I roll over
To remember the sky
And realise:
I would rather drink
The salt-water
Stored
In the wells
Of my body
For all of my days
Than to ever close
My eyes
Again.



Scent
You smell like the Wild.
Minty Fresh and Forest Green
Clean, like a wind-swept sky;
Fresh like an Autumn morning,
Light rays of sun
Grazing across my lips,
Goosebumps on my flesh,
These clothes, a thin sheet
Against my skin
And your scent:
Tantalising.
May I bathe in you?
Drown my bare back
Against your naked chest
So that I too
Can smell like you:
Tree bark
In a cold wood
Under a blue sky
Rough,
In all the right ways.
May I brand myself
With your breath
So that I may never need
Air
Again?



Empty

I can’t hear anymore
Because I’ve listened for too long
And too hard
To the daggers flung from the tip of your tongue,
Spears that grow claws when they land
In the void they have made;
Searing pain
In the centre of what’s left
Of anything that has ever mattered.
I cut out the burnt flesh,
And squeeze out its poison
Before I throw it against the wall
To watch
As stars and galaxies drip from what’s left
Of what could have been.
There is nothing left here.





Safe

I swallow the words I should speak
And the resentment burns.
It is tar
Thick and Hot
Sticky and Dark.
It congeals in my throat
And hardens to stone.
A concrete mountain,
Cemented in my veins.
There is no life here anymore.
The birds do not sing
And the flowers do not grow.
I close my eyes yet again
But this time,
I give in to the silence.
Perhaps it is best
To amalgamate
With this dark matter
For there is safety
In the Shadows.



Beware the Moonlight Prince

I’m one of the lucky ones.
The albino monkey that escaped.
The one that burns brown in the sun
Instead of black
Like the babies that the other babies,
I remember,
Would sit far away from
For fear that the soot would rub off on them
And dirty their freshly laundered skin.

“Mummy and Daddy said black was bad,”
Claimed the echo,
And this was not new to us,
We who are painted by holy scripture
To be the stunted, monkey people of the Deep South,
Useful to a prince and his moonlight skin
Only for paving the way to retrieve his stolen wife
The way one might retrieve a stolen bike;
A wife he un-trusted to remain un-raped.

Do you remember,
My stunted,
Monkey people
Of the Deep South,
When we lived in a valley
Where streets and avenues intersected like a grid?
And water stopped and ran as easily as we as we willed it?
Where we planted the sweetest smelling flowers
Along our sewer routes?

We were playing when they came.
With our toys, by our gardens
On our grid patterned streets.
They arrived on their horses,
Carrying their weapons
Baffled that life could exist
Without ownership,
Without one
Demanding to control another.

The story fades here.
Did we leave because they arrived?
Or did the shifting waters
Ask us to follow?
Perhaps we were stuck
Between their weapons
And our Goddess of the water
And we preferred to follow Life
Instead of succumb to Death?

They say we’re the same
But they made it clear a long time ago,
These princes with their moonlight skin,
That we are only good for
Kissing their soiled feet
With the sweat of our self-worth.
“God loves you
But your dark skin keeps you far from him.
You’ll get closer, through servitude, one lifetime at a time.”

And we believed each Moonlight Prince.
We forgot our grid-system streets,
We forgot our running water and our sweet smelling flowers,
We forgot our men who married our women
With blood oaths,
Swearing to serve the Matriarch
With gratitude
For carrying his memory
Into an endless future.

We believed each Moonlight Prince
Who said he kept our Goddess caged
To protect her.
We believed each Moonlight Prince
Who said he protected her
Because he revered her,
As long as she too was made of moonlight;
As long as she too glowed
No more than gold.

We have taught our children to believe him.
And so, our children,
They now worship beauty
As the Moonlight Queen
Who glows no more than gold.
Tell me, where, between the spectrum
Of moonlight,
And gold
Does my child of the night sky belong?

We believed the Moonlight Prince for so long,
And so deeply
That when his Master came for his head
We too bowed and gave him ours.
Our heads continue to roll,
Unsure of the crevice in which we will wedge ourselves.
Perhaps when we find some stillness,
We will one day look down and see ourselves
Reflected as the star-filled skies that we are.



 Dear Cis-Het Man

If only my vulva didn’t live in my heart so often.
Perhaps it wouldn’t bleed so much
When your body tells me
That you can’t love me
The way I need to be loved.

If only my clitoris didn’t hover so often
In the space between my lips.
Perhaps it wouldn’t expect your cherry tongue
To titillate
When all your words do
Is circumcise my desires
And watch them drown, gas-lit, in shame.

If only my uterus didn’t swim
Between the pit of my stomach
And the lump in my throat.
Perhaps it wouldn’t smell so acrid
When you try to fill it
With all of your expectations,
Emptying the contents
Of your toxic fragility
Into a tomb that is too barren
To host anymore of what you lack.


No comments:

Post a Comment