7/7/23

Roe vs Wade Series | Poetry | Suzi Kaplan Olmsted

 

Blood Fall by Peter Rejcek (Source: wiki commons)

Young enough to see the ice caps melt

 

I wish it was all a metaphor

That I was a symbolic poet

What I remember most clearly about my abortion

Is getting the money from Social Services

I didn't have the cash or income at the time

I wouldn't ask my parents

And I'm wasn't the sort to depend on a man

Or ask for help

Even if I loved him

He was a useless, unreliable piece of shit

Who made my pussy clench

He smelled fantastic of amber, musk, sandalwood and manly welding sweat

I knew he’d break my heart, and I told him he would on our second date

He agreed

He tore it out with his teeth, repeatedly

The worst kind of dilation and curettage

But I was young enough at the abortion clinic

That 10 milligrams of Valium made me a happy, giddy patient

The pitchers of margaritas afterward

On the back patio of my favorite Castro restaurant

Kept any feelings at bay

No regrets here, though

Not about the abortion

I wonder what the idiotic people celebrating the fall of Roe v. Wade are really thinking, though

I'm back to wondering when the mother ship is coming

My abortion would be in its 30’s now

Young enough to see the ice caps melt

Watch billions die from sea rise, heat, fire, floods, hurricanes, drought and famine

Civilizations fall, pestilence prevail, mass extinction of countless species

Dystopian reality pending, while we argue

I'm less concerned about when life starts

I'm thinking

We're aborting everything

 


No comments:

Post a Comment