7/7/23

Roe vs Wade Series | Poetry | Renee Williams

 

Flower Art by Cynthia Yatchman

“Friend”

 

Though we never met, we were friends for years.

Your dog had a peritoneal hernia just as mine did, so you joined an online forum.

We became more than acquaintances, through shared experiences, both joyful and harrowing.

Our lives intertwined: you entered my March Madness tournament, and we teased each other during football season, with you always rooting for those Georgia Bulldogs and me, following those Buckeyes.

We shared sentiments and concerns regarding our parents, dealing with declining health issues and the like.

And when your grandson was born with spina bifida, we prayed for him, and over the internet I watched him grow and thrive…and also consoled you during the setbacks, too…

For I, too, knew what it was like to spend long nights in hospitals, wishing, crying, and begging God for help.

 

Though politically we had our differences—and they were vast—never did I dream that my speaking out would be enough for you to step away.

But unfriend me, you did, the very minute that I supported those affected by this Supreme Court ruling.

Even though you suspected that I might’ve, could’ve dabbled in witchcraft, that didn’t bother you.

Even though I embraced getting the vaccine, that didn’t bother you.

But then I never made a show of my ideological leanings…until now.

For so long, the other side has made its wishes known, loudly, proudly, without relenting.

And even though it troubled me, I had room in my head and in my heart for both sides of the conversation.

 

But on this one issue, this very, very important matter of choice, I cannot let my voice go unheard.

Never one to make others feel uncomfortable, I kept my mouth shut for so long,

Probably deep down knowing and fearing that for some,

There isn’t room for another voice,

And even though the other side has won,

And has pushed back rights that I never thought I’d see lost in my lifetime,

My voice must be silenced still.

Because there isn’t room in your head or in your heart to tolerate it.

 

So I ask myself, were you ever really a friend?

I regret that I won’t see your grandson mature.

I realize how important this topic is to you because if your daughter had listened to some, your grandchild never would have been born.

But it’s a choice that was offered and given to her.

Do you ever worry who will care for him when he ages and you are gone?

 

When a pregnant friend of mine learned that her baby had fetal hydrops, she had to make an awful decision: risk dying of sepsis herself when her baby would perish within her womb, watch her child be born and then die, or preserve what precious sanity that she had left and remain healthy to care for her seven-year-old son, if she engaged in the other option.

Her life was in danger, physically and mentally.

What choice did she have, really?

Isn’t that between her and God?

What would you have done?

What would you have asked your daughter to do?

And why should it be any of our business at all?

Or, is this something that we can’t talk about, either?


No comments:

Post a Comment