2/18/19

Three Poems | Renee Butner

   
Bodegón con costillas y cabeza de cordero by Francisco de Goya

Epidermis

Copper kettle burn
three hundred degrees
on my upper arm
sears black quickly
overlaid with protective scab
During the night I toss and turn
rubbed bare against silken gray sheets
the scalding of each pore
awakens me with its intensity

In the light of early morning 
fresh smooth skin
though still afire and tender
is blemish free pink and clean
Oh if my entire body could be so
Erase the anxieties that 
crease my brow permanently 
worries which turn the 
corners of my lips downward

I would step into scorching lava  
come out the other side
encased in bloody blisters
deserving of the pain
Restoration will be worth it
Bite my tongue remember kindness
       and the glistening jewel that is joy        



Domino

Overslept the alarm 
argument with spouse
ignored someone waiting for 
a parking spot and
slipped right in anyway
got the bird and
angrily returned it
snatched the last size 8
white jeans
snarled “sorry”
to the woman
reaching for them 
looked the other way
when the homeless
man held high his sign
in order for it to be seen
burned the chicken
for dinner
smothered it in bbq sauce
went to bed early and depressed



Rewind

Overslept the alarm 
ignored the complaints 
of my spouse
kissed him on the cheek
as I departed
gestured for blue car waiting
to turn out in front of me
no white jeans at 
the mall
found great buy
on denim skirt instead
“Need work” said the man's
sign on the side of the road
I handed him change
from my deal on the skirt
with my address if interested
to mow my lawn tomorrow
dinner was superb 
my bed cool and comforting
later that evening

____________________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment