2/7/19

Poem | Ngurang Reena


Jacques-Louis David, The Intervention of the Sabine Women, 1799, Musee du Louvre 
CONSUMED BY OUR SILENCE
Nineteen, young and ‘clean’
Innocent and thrilled
2500 kms away from home
I arrived.

2009 the year was
Location- Chandni Chowk, Central Delhi
Time- 3pm.
This is my story
Her story
This is every women’s story.

With tall dreams and soaring faith
I strode in the scorching heat
With smaller dreams & nothing to lose 
The vendor sold his subsistence in the deafening noise
For a certain figure
Negotiating bigger.

I heard the lady in the corner calling upon the mortals
Who themselves were mourners.


Little babies crying
Stray dogs and cows prying
With every blare and tootle of the car the road turned hostile.

Chaos turmoil lights sounds people
Oh, people and their infinite talk
Talk Talk Talk......
Talk that would never end
Oh, I was now frightened!

No it wasn't the clatter or the buzz
It certainly was not the stray dogs
I was frightened of them
Men!
Men and their gaudy shadows.

My heart skipped a beat.

I faded when those unnamed hands touched me
Those hands scary as night
Those hands a man's might.


I felt dwindled trying to count the pair of hands on me
They were just too many.
I died!

They advanced
From my delicate thighs
To my feeble breasts
To my powerless body.

They touched me wherever their hands could reach.
I cried.

Petrified, I protested!
Outraged, I revolted!
Futile, I was conflicted!


You know when you are tired
And you want to give up
You know when your body aches from the climb
And you let go
I was done.
I sat there unmoved
‘Used’
Yes, I sat there
Sexually abused.

Oh, I realized
My country men had an interesting approach
And that I was at fault!
A woman is itself a ‘fault’!
The always righteous men
Righteous, are they?
The ‘protector’ of us, the ‘weaker’ sex
Weaker, are we?

I remember returning home back that day
Quietly
 Absorbing the pain
Noiseless
I couldn’t hear myself
I rushed to shower
Hoping to wash away the ‘dirt’ they had put on me
Disgusted I scrubbed
To remove the stain.
I scrubbed harder this time,
To be ‘clean’ again.

No comments:

Post a Comment