7/10/20

New | Two Poems | AHR


Sunday Afternoon by Sandor Bihari 






Someone else

My breath, your aphrodisiac
will be someone else’s
and my breasts
will be kissed by someone else

I will roll on my back
or sit up on my haunches
for someone else.
and my mouth will kiss
and pull away
from someone else

And the smile you smiled
will be smiled for me
by someone else

My silhouette
in the dark shadows of my bed
will be traced
by someone else’s hands
my legs will be wound around
the neck
of someone else

And when I sigh,
Replete,
I will sigh
For someone else.




Two by four

The end result was so prosaic,
A two by four unit
Of shelves, and a desk
A “black brown” the company said
And not nearly sturdy enough
I knew that when I hauled it upright with some help

Your help –
It wasn’t.
I took my fingers and turned the screws around
And around
So tight they went a subdued purple
The parts, the boards for shelves and partitions, the screws, and iron,
seemed to tear into my skin without leaving a mark
A rawness
Which magnified the ridges of my fingerprints
The lines of my palms
The creases and delicate dimples in my fingers
A latent pain, just below my small bones

I bent down low, and straddled the different pieces
The sweat coursed in thin rivulets
from my hair, ear, neck, down to my torso
When I bent further and my shirt hung loose, I thought –
A view:
For no one to see.

I did and re-did those shelves and the screws
Until they were just so

Do you remember a while ago,
When some planks of a similar dark wood
Were made into a table
And it was your hands that went purple
Like a faded eggplant?
And it was we who rested our glasses of water, the heat condensing
Droplets trickled down softly, as though the glasses were perspiring?
You took a big gulp
And we moved to the sofa.

I hauled the two by four upright, against the wall
My back and arms hurt
And I knew there would be a lingering ache tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment