3/26/20

Poetry | Manic is My Favourite Colour | Indira Prasad





Manic is my favourite colour

Ten beats a second, super fuelled
With the fire from a hundred cigars
Transcendent, invincible
There’s a sludge-quake in my small intestine,                             
Can you feel it?

Pin prick
Insulin spikes
Sugar
Pleasure
Not so hungry anymore
The demons have eaten my liver
Manic is my favourite colour
Crawling about like a sick dog
Under the Fluoxetine rainbow,
I am a god.


                                                                                 




The Devil's House


He’s awake
Standing by the window
Smoking cigarettes, turning dials, making strange sounds
He is a black hole
With ropes for hair
And a hook crook nose
He gives me something evil to smoke
And I want to go home
But I have no home
There are demons outside, making a racket 
Synthetic machines and brass instruments

My head is reeling
The devil lies beside me
Listening to Jazz, discordant, awful, piercing
He smells like rot, like dirt
His acrid breath brushes my cheek
Warm death on a sunny day
A million miles from home
There is no comfort in his body
His mouth makes a strange O
My mouth gasps for air and water
My body is desperate for England.




Change in the weather


I can see my breath
Small frozen drops hanging in the air
The weather is in my bones
I can’t feel my feet
My hands ache
My mouth won’t open
Slow death in January
There are never enough quilts
Who has opened the window?
Do you want me to die? 
I thought I would love the heat
But my insides have turned to resin 
All the water’s escaped my swollen body
Ran off down my back, across my neck
Hangovers are hell, here in the inferno
Sleepless nights cook my brain inside my skull
And the people; I am bewildered
Truth is; I don’t want to go home
There is no such thing as home.


                                                                              





Maybe I am loved 


Malign in the moonlight,
I think I can see the moon
In the coal pit of his eye
Eye-line a downward dagger
A glance shared with half the world.
But I’m riding in his car,
So maybe I am loved.

Static barbs fly
And I taste the vitriol rolling off his tongue.
Razor blade violin shriek.
Words which turn asbestos to ash
He doesn’t like folks like me                                                                     
But he buys me all of my drinks
So maybe I am loved.

It’s not his fault, it’s mine.
For not understanding I am blessed.
And he will screw his way through 200 years of colonialism
I couldn’t understand
Why he would never take me home
But he took me to a backstreet hotel
So maybe I am loved.



*artwork by the poet 

No comments:

Post a Comment