7/4/16

Poem | Sahir Ludhianvi (Translated by Maaz Bin Bilal)

Photo Credits: GB

A Ghazal

(Translated for Śuchismita)

A lusty eye never finds any rest,
I don’t wait for you, but I do expect.

From us the colours of the garden and of spring,
Yet, we have no say over the garden’s running.

Do not sing songs of love, o minstrel,
The mood of life is not quite pleasant.

Why would I believe your oaths of love?
When I keep no faith in my own pledges.

Who knows how many grudges live restless here,
In this heart that doesn’t allow for any grudges.

I am not convinced of fleeing from life, 
But to tell the truth: death—I would not mind. 

To what stage has our age brought us that
On life you have control, but very little.


Ghazal

hawas-nasīb nazar ko kahīñ qarār nahīñ 
maiñ muntazir huñ magar terā intezār nahīñ

hamīñ se rang-e-gulistañ hamīñ se rang-e-bahar 
hamīñ ko nazm-e-gulistañ pe iķhtiyār nahīñ

abhi na chheR mohabbat ke gīt ae mutrib 
abhi hayāt ka mahaul ķhushgavār nahīñ
  
tumhāre ahd-e-wafā ko ahad main kyā samjhūñ
mujhe ķhud apni mohabbat ka aitabār nahīñ

na jāne kitne gile is meiñ muztarib haiñ nadīm 
wo ek dil jo kisī ka gilāguzar nahīñ

gurez kā nahīñ qāyal hayāt se lekin 
jo soz kahuñ to mujhe maut nāgavār nahīñ

ye kis maqām pe pahuñchā diya zamane ne 
ki ab hayat pe tera bhi iķhtiyar nahīñ

No comments:

Post a Comment