8/24/15

Stark Electric Week| Poems of Malay Roychoudhury translated by Uttaran Das Gupta | Part 1

Rebellion is in the air again. From the streets of Cairo to the boulevards of Boston, and closer home in Bangladesh, young men and women are willing to pay with their lives to stop the onward march of Moloch, representing all kinds of regressive forces that do not want the status quo to be challenged, who insist on giving us laughter in lieu of happiness, and whose sole aim is to strangle and starve to death all that is holy, and flows and lives. 

A decade like this occurred before in history half-a-century ago and it tied the Indian and American literary traditions even more strongly than before. It is known that Transcendentalism was influenced by Hindu scriptures like the Gita. Allen Ginsberg, a leader of the Beat movement which created a space for an alternative political and social order in America, also looked to India for inspiration, like his Transcendentalist literary father Walt Whitman. 

His travels in India brought him in touch with a group of artistes driven by similar ideals of reconstructing society through their art, which eschewed any bourgeoisie inhibitions, attacked the Establishment and took pride in its vulnerability.   

Like Ginsberg, the leader of the Hungryalists Malay Roy Choudhuri also underwent an obscenity trial for his poem Stark Electric Jesus, an event that was noticed around the world. We had reprinted the poem earlier and you may look it up here

We believe that the Hungryalists and the Beats did not fail in their aims. It was the society at large which did. We think that there is much in their poetry that can help keep the spirit of rebellion alive all over the world, for the task is far from done yet. 

Towards this end, we have a small contribution to make. Starting today, we will be publishing a poem per day for the next five days by Malay Roy Choudhury, translated by Uttaran Das Gupta,  a journalist and poet from Calcutta who now lives in New Delhi. The poems cover varied themes, tackling notions of the self and nationhood among others. Some of the more personal poems provide a striking account of the ignominy suffered by the Hungryalist poets at the hands of an insensitive state and callous society and sadly, even fellow writers and editors who far from expressing solidarity seem to have reveled in their misfortunes. 





A Painting by Hungryalist Painter Anil Karanjai
Source: Facebook Page (with permission from his wife Juliet Reynolds)



আমার স্বদেশ

মলয় রায়চৌধুরী

আমার পক্ষে বলা সম্ভব নয় যে আদিবাড়ি উত্তরপাড়া আমার দেশ নয়
জানি গঙ্গায় অপরিচিতদের চোখ খুবলানো লাশ ভেসে আসে
আমার পক্ষে বলা সম্ভব নয় যে পিসিমার আহিরিটোলা আমার দেশ নয়
জানি পাশেই সোনাগাছি পাড়ায় প্রতিদিন তুলে আনা কিশোরীদের বেঁধে রাখা হয়
আমার পক্ষে বলা সম্ভব নয় যে মামার বাড়ি পাণিহাটি আমার দেশ নয়
জানি কোন পাড়ায় দিন দুপুরে কাদের খুন করা হয়েছে
আমার পক্ষে বলা সম্ভব নয় যে শৈশবের কোন্নোগর আমার দেশ নয়
জানি কারা কাদের দিয়ে কাকে গলা কেটে মারতে পাঠায়
আমার পক্ষে বলা সম্ভব নয় যে যৌবনের কলকাতা আমার দেশ নয়
জানি কারা কাদের বোমা মারে বাসে-ট্রামে আগুন লাগায়
আমার পক্ষে বলা সম্ভব নয় যে পশ্চিমবঙ্গ আমার দেশ নয়
এদেশের লকআপে পিটুনি খেয়ে থেঁতলে মরার অধিকার আমার আছে
এদেশের চা-বাগানে না খেতে পেয়ে দড়িদঙ্কা হবার অধিকার আমার আছে
এদেশের চটকলে গলায় দড়ি দিয়ে ঝোলার অধিকার আমার আছে
এদেশের দলগুণ্ডাদের পোঁতা মাটির তলায় হাড় হবার অধিকার আমার আছে
এদেশের ধনীদের ফাঁদে ফেঁসে সর্বস্বান্ত হবার অধিকার আমার আছে
এদেশের শাসকদের বাঁধা লিউকোপ্লাস্ট মুখে বোবা থাকার অধিকার আমার আছে
এদেশের নেতাদের ফোঁপরা বক্তৃতা আর গালমন্দ শোনার অধিকার আমার আছে
এদেশের অবরোধকারীদের আটকানো পথে হার্টফেল করার অধিকার আমার আছে
আমার পক্ষে বলা সম্ভব নয় যে বাংলাভাষা আমার স্বদেশ নয়


Homeland

Malay Roychoudhury |Translation: Uttaran Das Gupta

Can’t say my Uttarpara ancestral home isn’t my homeland,
I know unidentified bodies, their eyes plucked out, float by in the Ganga.
Can’t say my aunt’s Ahiritola isn’t my homeland,
I know abducted girls are bound and gagged in Sonagachi nearby.
Can’t say my uncle’s at Panihati isn’t my homeland,
I know who was killed, and where, in broad daylight.
Can’t say my adolescent Konnagar isn’t my homeland,
I know who was sent to cut whose throat.
Can’t say my youth’s Calcutta isn’t my homeland,
I know who threw bombs, set fire on buses, trams.
Can’t say West Bengal isn’t my homeland,
I’ve the right to be tortured to death in its lock-ups,
I’ve the right to starve and have rickets in its tea gardens,
I’ve the right to hang myself at its handloom mills,
I’ve the right to become bones buried by its party lumpen,
I’ve the right to have my mouth taped, silenced,
I’ve the right to hear the leaders sprout gibberish, abuse,
I’ve the right to a heart attack on its streets blocked by protestors,
Can’t say Bengali isn’t my homeland.























Read all poems from the Stark Electric Week Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment