8/5/15

2 poems | Maria Lopez

Translated from Spanish by the poet and Abhimanyu Singh


1.Balance

A tick
hooked like a nail
perched on my mind
arms and legs entangled
in the most naked battle:
an excess of conscience
ties a knot in my throat
and my cunt beats
like a bird in your hand
like in those corny Oriental ghazals
like The Ring of the Dove*.
like when the unavoidable announces itself
on a beam over the abyss.

I swing from side to side
and I don´t stumble.

* The Ring of the Dove is a Muslim treatise on love written in the 11th century.



1.Equilibrio

Garrapata
enganchada como un clavo
a mi mente encaramada
brazos y piernas enzarzados
en la batalla más desnuda:
el exceso de conciencia
me hace un nudo en la garganta
y el coño me palpita
como un pajarillo en la mano
como en esos cursis gazales orientales
como en el Collar de la Paloma
como cuando lo inevitable se anuncia
en una viga sobre el abismo.
Oscilo de un lado a otro
y no me caigo.





2. The crows

Old Delhi in the evening
The call to prayer
A bare tree,outlined
Against a war like grey sky,

On its skinny branches
Are lodged alternatively
Gothic crows peering into
The infinite evil with their lost gaze.
Their open beaks remind me
Of my own astonishment:
I identify clearly the loneliness
And the well of this primal fear
That so many others,since centuries
Have felt flowing inwards
At the echoing rhythm of the muezzin's call.



2. Los Cuervos

Old Delhi por la tarde
llaman a la oración
y un árbol pelado se recorta
contra un cielo gris de guerra
en retorcidos escorzos minimalistas
y aloja alternativamente
entre sus escuálidas ramas
góticos cuervos de mirada perdida
en el mal infinito.
Su boca abierta me recuerda
mi propio asombro: identifico,
claramente, la soledad y el pozo
de este miedo atávico
que tantos otros desde hace siglos
han sentido correr hacia dentro
al ritmo del eco sordo del muecín.



No comments:

Post a Comment